Orlando Junior Academy(OJA) is a private Christian school in College Park just outside of downtown Orlando, FL. It is a school with a rich history that reaches back over 100 years ago.
Choosing a school for your child is a big decision. You’ve probably looked at dozens of schools and you are considering the pros and cons of each.
You’re probably getting pretty stressed because after all choosing the right school can make a big impact on your child’s life.
We want to help you make the right decision!
These are some of the questions that you should be asking when looking for the right school:
Students at OJA learn more than just arithmetic and spelling. There are rich curriculum centered around healthy living, eating, and around social etiquette among other things. It’s our mission at OJA to help students develop a love for learning in all areas of life and to find a joy in service while following the teachings of Jesus Christ.
- Do your teachers communicate effectively and in a timely manner?
Our teachers send out weekly newsletters to parents to keep them up to date and aware about upcoming projects, field trips, and on campus events. In addition to our teachers newsletters we’re dedicated to updating our website and social media sites on a regular basis. See what’s happening at OJA right from your phone. Click here for OJA’s FB page. Click here for our Twitter feed.
- Am I welcome to visit my child at any time?
Parents or legal guardians are always welcome to visit their child at any time. Just don’t wake your little one up during nap time! Simply sign in at our front desk and you are free to see your child.
Here are some common questions that parents ask when they are considering sending their students to Orlando Junior Academy.
- Will my child be able to go to Harvard/Yale/etc. after attending OJA?
Just kidding! Of course they can! Most (92%) of our graduates have gone on to college. Some of our alumni include (but is not limited to) Ken Bradley the current mayor of Winter Park, Ric Keller, former Congressional State Representative, and Yamile Luna, Vice President of Florida Hospital.
- You are a Seventh-day Adventist School. Do I have to be a Seventh-day Adventist for my child to attend? Will they be indoctrinated?
Orlando Junior Academy encourages prayer and the study of scripture. We start off each day with a few words of prayer and a pledge to the Bible.
We are proud members of the Global Conference of Seventh-day Adventists and are honored to be a part of the Adventist Edge curriculum. However it is not required to be a Seventh-day Adventist to attend OJA. About 30% of our students are not Seventh-day Adventists.
There are regular worships and Bible classes for every grade. Seventh-day Adventists take scripture as the ultimate written authority and place no other teachings higher than what is found in it’s writings.
- Do your teachers have to go through the same level of accreditation as teachers working at a Public School?
Our teachers not only have to pass state accreditation but they also have to pass the Adventist School standards which requires them to continue their education and take new courses every year.
- Are there scholarships to attend OJA?
Yes! There are! Contact our school office to see if you or your child qualify for one of our many scholarships. Call 407-898-1251 for the school office.
Some of the other things that make OJA a great place for your child:
– The Edible Education Experience with expert gardener Brad Jones partnered with the Nutritional Science Lab with local chefs Kevin Fonzo and Sarah Cahill of K’s restaurant. OJA’s Nutritional Science Lab challenges the typical classroom setting by integrating math and science into the cultural appreciation of nutritious and delicious food.
– The Advanced Art Program with Nichole Delafield-Bromme. Check out the book that she made with the students! Click here.
– Our excellent Home and School team that bring fun events to life like the Mother-Daughter Tea Party!
– An After-school program that is interactive and educational!
– And much more!
Please check out our Student Handbook. It may be able to answer any other questions that you might have. But if you have any more questions, we would love to talk to you! Call us at 407-898-1251!
If you are interested in attending our Pre-K and Kindergarten Open House Round-Up please RSVP at DiscoverOJA.com/Round-UP.